Translate

Sunday, August 17, 2014

La Dolce Vita


La Dolce Vita
 
Guest Blogger: Dominique
 
 

 
Anxious. Excited. Happy.

Those three words clearly sum up the feelings that I had when I stepped into Newark Airport one week ago to fly to Rome alone. I really could not believe that I was returning to Rome to visit Maria and take part in a small piece of her wonderful adventure. Once I stepped onto the plane, my anxiety disappeared and the excitement/happy feelings took over. I was ready to get to Rome and begin what I knew would be an incredible trip.

Rome is an amazing city that has so much to offer every person. It is truly mind-blowing how this one place seems to hold the history and cultures of several different groups of people. Each day as I walked through the city with Maria, I realized more and more how this place is one that channels a deep stream of past events that have helped to shape the modern world. These feelings that I experienced as I walked the quaint Roman streets full of Vespa's and 'toy' cars were realizations that I was not surprised by. Living in Rome for two months almost four years ago prepared me for the feeling of wonderment I felt as I took each step throughout the city of Rome. Although I was familiar with each feeling, the beauty of Rome still took my breath away.

I cannot explain in words how beautiful this city and the country of Italy is. It is a type of beauty that stops you in your steps and forces you to look around and appreciate the world that we live in. Every person here is warm (except for the gypsies) and wants to help every visitor see the gifts that Rome has to offer. Like every city, you must remove the rose-colored glasses and realize that there are people within this historic oasis that want to rip you off. Even with that risk, to me, Rome is perfect.

During this trip, I have been extremely fortunate to experience things that most individuals dream about. Learning to make home-made pasta in a Tuscan home that is over 1,000 years old, wine-tasting fine Italian wine with the Tuscan breeze kissing my neck, and roaming around a foreign city in order to find its hidden treasures that only true Romans know about. Each day was full of excursions that resulted in the formation of life-long memories. I am thankful for each new experience and memory I have made and cannot help but feeling blessed to have such a wonderful experience along side one of my best friends.

I'd have to say, the one thing I may change about Rome in the summer is the un-godly heat. Let's just say, I have been covered in a heat rash for the last 4 days but that has not stopped me from loving and appreciating each moment in this city. As I have discovered, Rome is not for the weak or faint of heart.

As I sit here on my last full day in the city that I love, my first two feelings have faded and I am left with a feeling of pure happiness. Yes, I am sad to leave this amazing place, but I cannot help but realize how this week has been one out of my dreams. For that reason, I cherish each memory I have made here and have an overall feeling of happiness as I prepare to head home to the people I love. I once read the quote, "travel is the only thing in this world that you buy that makes you rich." It was something that stopped me in my tracks. Travel is the only thing that we can buy that makes us a better, more well-rounded, individual. So I urge you all, travel. Even if you do not have the means, drive somewhere new (near or far) and open your mind to a place that sheds light on the beauty of difference. Allow yourself to be uncomfortable in a new place. It is in that moment when you will be able to see the world through the eyes of another and find a piece of  "La Dolce Vita", The Sweet Life.



To Maria, you will do wonderfully here. You are strong and can do this. What you are doing, takes courage (and a male body part lol)- you, figuratively, have both!! Remember the feeling of home as you walk down the streets of Trastevere and our rules for Roma when you are feeling homesick. And when in doubt, go left ; )




No comments:

Post a Comment