Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

Three Words

One of my best friends, Steph Palla, asked me a thought provoking question. Actually...it was a demand.  Verbatim: "Give me three words to sum up your past week".  I must comply and attempt to answer.

It is not easy to process this past week.  It feels like I have been here at least a month already.  In order to sort through my emotions and experiences, as well as answer the question Steph asked me, I will summarize my first week in Rome with 3 words.

#1:  Energizing

Since I have been in Italy, I have felt constant adrenaline.  To the point where I have trouble sleeping at night because I am so excited about my life.  That is some problem to have, huh?   I am energized by the city of Rome.  Energized by spontaneous plans I have been making.  My people I have been meeting.  I am energized by new places I have seen. 

I have had the opportunity to see some family (my sister Catherine's in-laws), and some friends.  I went to my friend's family house in Monteforte, Cilento.  It was a beautiful experience that was an authentic Italian experience.  My days there consisted of multi-course homemade meals and a town feast- complete with a procession, fireworks, folk music, and a raffled off ham. 

It was such a beautiful trip to take.  When I came back to Rome, I felt like I was home. I have not even been here for a week, but somehow I feel settled here.

My writing chair

Beautiful view of Monteforte
 
 
 
Great meeting up with the Jones's!
 
 
 
 
 

 
The feast for San Domato.  Procession in the town, followed by fireworks, food, dancing, etc.
 

 
Paestum-  Ancient Greek ruins almost 3,000 years old
 

#2 Empowering

I didn't know how my first week here would go.  In fact, I had a panic attack about it a couple months ago that my mom and sister had to talk me through.  I thought I would be lonely, or maybe I would be unsafe in a foreign country.  I was worried I would feel so far away from home.   I was worried of all the things that could go wrong.  I had severe anxiety over this trip- and at one point I even doubted it.

I have been on a long journey the past two months that has led me to a point of feeling tranquility, confidence, and excitement.  I have learned how easy it is to let fear hold us back from our dreams.  On the contrary, it is also possible to put your fears aside and achieve your dreams.

I would not have been able to do this alone.  My friends, family, and mentors have been such a big support to me.  They have helped me get to where I am now.  I feel empowered.  I am traveling.  Meeting people.  Seeing new things.  While at the same time, trying to continue following my daily routines I did at home.  I'm finding a balance between it all.  It is not the easiest thing, but I am proud of myself.  I'm proud of myself for having such a positive and adventurous attitude, while remaining practical and safe.  And at the end of the day---living in Rome is really not that different from living in Hoboken/NYC.  Before I jinx myself, I'm going to get started on word #3.

 






#3. Gratitude (Wish I could think of an "E" word to complete the trio)

 I have been thanking God every single day.  I can't really describe how I know it,  but I am sure that  I am following the plan that has been designed for me.  I am meant to be here.  I absolutely love this country, and this city.  It is a little scary actually- because I am scared that at some point on my trip I will feel less enthusiastic than I do now.  But I do not think that will happen- I think I will continue loving Italy with each changing season. 

I have also felt an enormous gratitude for my family and friends who I love so much.  I feel so confident in myself knowing that I have such support at home. 

In a weird way,  I'm grateful for all the crap I went through this year.  It was not an easy year.  It was one of the hardest years of my life.  Yet, look where it led me.  It led me to the boldness that I needed in order to follow through on my decision to move here. 

I have a very strong appreciation for life.  I know life is short.  I know life can be very miserable sometimes---sometimes, even unbearable.  I know that it is such a difficult ride.  Yet, I am experiencing such ease right now.  It's not hard to be happy, joyful, and excited here.  I have followed my dreams----I have worked so hard-----I have listened to my heart------I have stepped out of my comfort zone.

I am so grateful that I decided to do this----that I didn't let fear stop me from going where I know my heart was leading me.  So thank you, LIFE.  Thank you, God.  Thank you, family and friends.  Thank you, Rome. 


Grazie, Roma.


 
 
 





Addendum:
#4.  Mozzarella di Bufala
#5.  Lazio Red Wine
#6.  Visitors
#7.  Decorating the apartment
#8.  Ray Bans
#9.  Speaking Italian
#10.  Wi-Fi






No comments:

Post a Comment