Translate

Saturday, August 17, 2013

"Dogs eat food. We have dinner"



It’s about 10am here in Italy and I’m writing this blog post outside on the terrazza.  I’m sitting in what seems to be complete silence in the town- although I know that’s not true because there are people walking around the city of Lecce at all hours in the summer (similar to NYC).  As I’m writing this post I am hearing all of the words I am typing in Italian.  I’m pretty sure that the only word to describe what’s going on in my head right now is immersion.  I’ve been immersed in the culture by the language, food, people, environment, and friends I’ve met.

For the past week here in Lecce (which ZOOMED by), my brain has been constantly working to translate what I am hearing and what I am saying.  It is so difficult.  Although I still have much more progress to make, I have reached a new level of speaking/understanding Italian that I feel very proud of.  I’ve been fortunate to spend everyday this past week with the coolest and nicest people who are so patient and helpful in me learning.  My brain actually hurts from translating all day long- but I see the progress and it is the coolest thing ever to witness myself adapting to the culture and beginning to have genuine conversations with friends I have met.  Also, I cannot get the PIZZICA Tarantella song out of my head!!! We’ve been hearing it nonstop in Lecce, so my brain is pretty much a mush of Italian words and Pizzica music all day long. Needless to say, the silence this morning is refreshing and necessary for me.  Watch this youtube video for a taste of the music that we are hearing all day long (WARNING: after listening to this, you might not ever be able to get it out of your head.)

Another part of immersion in a culture is reflecting on the way of life that exists.  I’ve been reflecting a lot about the differences between American/Italian culture.  Each of these differences has pros and cons.  For example, efficiency. Yesterday, Lisa and I had the incredible opportunity to visit the most southern tip of Italy, called Santa Maria di Leuca.   We went on an excursion to see the caves (grotte) of this area of the Adriatic.  The water was clear and a beautiful bluish green color..spectacular.  Anyways, we arrived at our destination and had to find our way to the beach.  It took us an hour.  Mainly because the directions we got from people and the signs we tried to read were inaccurate.  Also, the boardwalk to the beach is the most ridiculous layout ever that looks like a huge snake.  We couldn’t help laughing hysterically as we walked along this winding boardwalk that we labeled, “Italian style boardwalk”.  In America, obviously the boardwalk would have gone directly to the beach in a straight line..(makes sense).  So, there are differences that exist in efficiency and functionality that cannot be denied.  




On a deeper level, there is a huge difference in the cultural value of family here.  We had a really long conversation yesterday with our friend Dario who took us on our day trip to Santa Maria di Leuca.  We had this conversation over some Italian beers alongside the Adriatic (NOT A BAD WAY TO HAVE A BEER!)  We talked about the importance of spending time with family, and the value of family that exists in Italy.  The most profound thing that was said during this conversation was by Dario.  We were talking about how in America it is not as common for families to have dinner together every night.  We talked about how different the concept of “eating” is for Americans.  Dario said that while he lived in NYC he noticed how so many Americans said “let’s eat food, let’s get food, I ate food…etc”.  Dario said- “in Italy, we do not use the word food (cibi) to describe what we are eating.  Dogs eat food.  We have dinner.” 

In Italy and in many other cultures, you do not eat alone. You are not just eating food, but you are enjoying meals. Your meals are shared with other people and they are savored.  We talked about the culture in America of eating what’s FAST and EASY.  Frozen food. Take out food. Whatever we have time for.  Dario said that eating frozen food from a box is disgusting to Italians- “what is different about the box and what’s inside the box? It is all processed…you might as well just eat the box too”.   Of course I thought this perspective was hysterical- but it also is very true.  

I can’t help but thinking how different our culture would be if we valued eating meals together with friends and family more.  If we took the time to make real food, and spend time with each other every day/night around the table.   There’s been so much research and articles about the importance of eating dinner every night with family.  Yet, we still don’t do it….because, we can’t make time? I don’t know…it's easier said than done of course..but it's an interesting thought.  
 
When you travel outside your comfort zone (whether it’s not knowing the language, places, or culture), you develop a deeper appreciation for your own culture.  You form a perspective from what you are able to compare and contrast with your own way of life.  I know there is no utopian society, but I think it’s important to learn from the positives of each culture.  I’ll take back with me these cultural values of Italy that never fail to inspire and awe me.  I know they will continue to better my life as they always have. Very grateful for it.

These pictures/videos below are of our trip to Santa Maria di Leuca and our excursion in the Adriatic to see the Grotte.  Enjoy!






















 

No comments:

Post a Comment